Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tornado Clean Up


I thought I better go ahead and post about last Saturday since I have finally figured this whole blogging thing out! Chris had to speak at a retreat in Memphis last Saturday and I was so tired of being in the house that when they announced at church that they were taking a bus full of people to go to Zion, AR to help clean up from the recent tornado, I jumped on it! I sent Isaac over to a friends house because I knew that I couldn't handle both of them. Jake and I got on the bus and 6:30am Sat. morning and were ready to work. Actually, I was ready for work and this was one of those moments that I had to pull out the whole "that is just what Harrell's do" phrase with Jake. He didn't quit understand why we were going to pick up trash, but quickly caught on. We got to the house that we were helping with and the nice old man asked us if we could help clean up his blueberry bushes. He grew blueberries for a living and they were covered in tree branches. It wasn't really hard work, but a lot of work. Jake did great and had fun with all of the teens that were there. He worked with them most of time. We probably filled 25 trailers full of branches in 2 hours. This is how one of the conversations with Jake went:
Jake: Why are we cleaning up these blueberry bushes mom?
Me: We are helping him because this would take him a really long time to clean up.
Jake: Why does he need them cleaned up?
Me: He grows blueberries to make money and if these aren't cleaned up he won't make any money.
Jake: Why does he need money?
Me: He needs the money so that he can buy food for his family.
Jake: OH...so we are helping him clean up the bushes so that he can buy food for his family?
Me: Yep! And ...Harrell's like to help people because it makes God happy.
Jake: Got it mom.
I don't know if he still gets it, but at the time it made me really proud of him. He went running off to tell one of the teenagers all about it too. Go Jake!
The day was really great and the weather was perfect. It was great to get outside and get some sun along with helping some really wonderful people.

3 comments:

jenni said...

Hey Polly!
I'm so glad you found us!! I love keeping in touch this way...I'm looking forward to reading your blog from now on!
jenni

Brian, Jamie, Molly & Sarah said...

Look at you, joining the blogging world! Good for you! "Just What Harrell's Do", I think I may steal that one and use it instead of my old stand by, "Because I am the boss". Yours sounds so much more parential (if that is a word) and less like something my mom would say. I am looking forward to adding your blog to my daily reads!!

Jamie

Danna Ramsey said...

Welcome to the blogiverse! It's been a great way for me to reflect back on the day and find something special about it. Glad to have you aboard!