Second: AR Children's Hospital is the coolest, most awesome, most impressive, and most caring place I have ever been. I pray that you never have to be there, but know that if you have to, you could not be in a better place. This is our third year to take Jake there and we are more in awe every year. Amazing.
Here is what we did today:
1. Checked in and waited 5 minutes.
2. Height, weight, blood pressure, went over all Jake's medicine.
3. Sent across hall to have a breathing test.
4. Came back and was put in a room.
5. Immediately, the dietitian came in and started asking us about how we are doing. What struggles we are having with food? What she could do for us? Checking on his calcium intake. Which I must say, I am doing wonderful with! She answered all of our questions and even went to go more information for us.
6. Dr. Stacy Jones came in. She is his allergy doctor and the smartest women in the world. I really wanted to hug her, but I restrained myself! She listened and asked questions and listened some more. I know that this sounds funny, but it is so nice for someone to actually listen to you. She examined Jake and went off to schedule some more things.
7. The asthma girl came in ( I don't know what to call her!) She came in and had him practice on a new inhaler that they want him to try. She explained everything to us and Jake.
8. Next, we went down the hall to have a chest x-ray and sinus x-ray.
9. Back to our room, Dr. Jones came back in to talk to us some more, then the blood lady came and took his blood. Got it the first time!
10. Dr. Jones came back in to go over all of the medicines and x-rays.
11. Asthma lady came back in to show us his asthma "action plan".
12. Another nurse came in to show us our prescriptions and go over everything one more time.
13. Came home.
Amazing. We were not alone in that room for more than 3 minutes at a time.
So... here is what we found out:
*food allergies - we won't know about for a week.
*bad asthma that is out of control.
*bad sinus issues.
*She likes to hit these things hard and then back off when we have it under control.
*He is on a 3 week antibiotic, and new daily inhaler that is about 100 times stronger than the last one.
*go back in 3 months.
I love that they know what they are talking about and that I now feel informed about all of this!
Let me now brag on Jake for a minute. He could not have been any better. He was excited to go. Just walked right in and started playing. He never complained, cried or anything. When they asked him to do something, he just did it. No delay, no questions. He just did it. Even happily! He was brave, strong, and just the best! We stopped at a gas station on the way home and told him he could have anything he wanted. He picked a Dr.Pepper and laffy taffy.
God is so good and we are so blessed!
7 comments:
Oh, Dr. Pepper! Sounds like he had a good day! I am so glad it went better than you expected.
We love you guys. Thanks for posting an update.
Wow! What a trooper. I still can't believe how big Jake is. Time passes so quickly. I'm going to say a special prayer for you guys tonight. Your faith is inspiring. God bless!
Hey, after I have been to the doctor, a Dr Pepper sounds pretty good!
Hope that you get some encouraging news next week and all the new asthma meds will do the trick. He needs to be able to do all that rowdy boy stuff with no breathing problems!
We love you, Jake!
so glad everything went well and that Jake was so brave. Praise God for a good day and hope the reports come back good as well
He loves laffy taffy!! I bought a bucket at Sam's for the kids and he picked that every time they got a treat. When I ran out, he would remind several times that our class needed some more taffy and that I could just go to a gas station to buy them because they have more flavors than the bucket at Sam's did!! I think he deserves a bucket of taffy from Sam's real soon!!!!
The people that work in Children's Hospitals are truly angels and amazing individuals. Way to go, Jake, on no tears! I still almost cry when I have to give blood:)
Post a Comment